November 14, 2017 19:08 GMT by dailymail.co.uk

Conor McGregor issues apology after storming into ring

Conor McGregor issues apology after storming into ring

Conor McGregor has apologised for his behaviour during the Bellator 187 event last weekend after he was barred from headlining UFC 219 due to his actions.

Conor McGregor has apologised for his behaviour during the Bellator 187 event last weekend after he was barred from headlining UFC 219 due to his actions.

McGregor jumped into the cage to celebrate team-mate Charlie Ward's win over John Redmond but became involved in an altercation with referee Mark Goddard and another official.

The Association of Boxing Commissions and Combative Sports (ABCCS) subsequently punished the lightweight champion by pulling him from next month's UFC 219.

Conor McGregor issued an Instagram apology after being banned from the UFC 219 event

Conor McGregor issued an Instagram apology after being banned from the UFC 219 event

And McGregor has now taken to Instagram to apologise for his actions, saying he was concerned the referee was forcing the fight to continue despite Redmond lying unconscious on the floor. 

'I sincerely apologise for my behavior at last weekends' fight event in Dublin,' McGregor said in a statement on Instagram. 

'While trying to support a loyal team-mate and friend, I let my emotions get the best of me and acted out of line. 

'As a multiple weight UFC champion, executive producer, role model and public figure, I must hold myself to a higher standard.

McGregor (centre right) lost his cool during the MMA event  in Dublin on Friday night

McGregor (centre right) lost his cool during the MMA event  in Dublin on Friday night

'The referee Marc Gonard (Goddard) was making a horrendous decision in trying to pick an unconscious fighter up off the floor and force the fight to continue into the second round. Even against the wishes of the said fighter's coach. The fight was over.

'After witnessing my fighter in a fight where the worst happened and the opponent passed away from his injuries on the night, I thought the worst was about to happen again, and I lost it and over reacted. I am sorry to everyone'. 

The fighter McGregor was referring to was thought to be Joao Carvalho, who passed away hours after being knocked out by Ward back in April 2016.

McGregor, who had been a spectator in Dublin, jumped into the octagon to celebrate with Ward moments after he beat Redmond with a first-round knockout.

McGregor confronted referee Marc Goddard after Charlie Ward and John Redmond's fight

McGregor confronted referee Marc Goddard after Charlie Ward and John Redmond's fight

The Irishman had previous with referee Goddard and was seen pointing and shouting at him

The Irishman had previous with referee Goddard and was seen pointing and shouting at him

Referee Goddard took exception to McGregor's actions and ordered him out of the octagon, sparking a melee by pushing him away.

That angered McGregor and the Irishman retaliated, running after Goddard and shouting and pointing at him before he was escorted out.

McGregor and Goddard had clashed in the past. Goddard is the same official who ordered McGregor to leave cageside as he cheered Artem Lobov on at UFC Gdansk

Conor McGregor's apology in full

'I sincerely apologise for my behavior at last weekends' fight event in Dublin. While trying to support a loyal team-mate and friend, I let my emotions get the best of me and acted out of line. 

'As a multiple weight UFC champion, executive producer, role model and public figure, I must hold myself to a higher standard.

'The referee Marc Gonard (Goddard) was making a horrendous decision in trying to pick an unconscious fighter up off the floor and force the fight to continue into the second round. Even against the wishes of the said fighter's coach. The fight was over.

'After witnessing my fighter in a fight where the worst happened and the opponent passed away from his injuries on the night, I thought the worst was about to happen again, and I lost it and over reacted. I am sorry to everyone.

'I sincerely apologise to the Director of the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation, Mike Mazzulli, all the officials and staff working the event, Andy Ryan and his fighter John, two stonch ones that put up a great fight every time. That side will always have my respect, and lastly every one of my fans. I love yous all!

'I’ve always learned from my mistakes and this will be no different'.  

ABCCS president Mike Mazzuli said a UFC executive contacted McGregor 'within two hours of the Bellator event' to inform him they would be taking action.

'They basically said to me that it's completely unacceptable in their eyes and that they will be doing something,' he explained.

'They did inform me that he was set to be on the December 30 card and now he will not be on it. So I do commend the UFC to some extent for doing that.

'On the other hand, I will be looking at it and speaking to my attorneys upon returning to the United States to see if I have any action.' 

The UFC had been working on having McGregor face Tony Ferguson at UFC 219 in December

The UFC had been working on having McGregor face Tony Ferguson at UFC 219 in December

Ward (left) has been one of McGregor's closest friends throughout his fighting career

Ward (left) has been one of McGregor's closest friends throughout his fighting career

Read more at dailymail.co.uk